We are inviting you to an engaging three-session discussion series that centers around identity, race, and community engagement. Why? We hope to create an open conversation that normalizes conversations about the recent protests.
In the second session, we will have a deeper discussion into what systemic racial structure means and how it impacts us differently. Finally, the last session will conclude with a discussion on actions and individual commitments that we can make.
We will follow these ground rules in every discussion:
1. Listen for understanding and with empathy
2. Allow everyone a chance to speak
3. Be kind and brave
4. Use “yes, and…” and “I” statements (I feel…I experienced…)
5. Criticize ideas, not individuals and keep the focus on the conversation
6. No fixing or correcting
7. Respect the silence that comes with thinking, learning, and processing
8. Avoid assumptions about others and recognize that not all values align
9. Lean into discomfort
10. Expect that we will leave/end with session with unanswered questions
11. Have fun!
12. And other rules that the group suggests
Discussion session dates:
Wed 10/7 and 10/28
If you are ready to break the silence and wanting to listen and share, please RSVP with Eventbrite. We will send the Zoom link to registered participants prior to the event. If you are not ready to have a conversation, it is okay too. We will keep this conversation going, and hope to see you soon.